Friday 4 October 2019

What to eat in Budapest?

goulash soup
Hi guys!

I had an opportunity to visit the capital city of Hungary this summer and for 4 days I've been delighting in the taste of local cuisine. I would like to present top 5 foods, that are essential (at the same time absolutely delicious) to try in Budapest. I have to outline that my option is mostly based on one-time attempt in certain place, so it's totally subjective. Let's get started!

1. Goulash soup


Served in a kettle or bowl, rich in potatoes, homemade noodles, carrots and obviously beef. 

I've had goulash soup 3 times in Budapest, yet the best was from Ket Szerecsen Bisztro (1490 HUF) located in the city center. I unfortunately don't have any photos from it, but you can check out their menu on this website - https://ketszerecsen.hu/en/gallery/

Price was oscillating from 1400 to 1900 HUF. 

langos2. Langos


A deep fried dough served in a form of a pizza or rolled as a wrap with various toppings. The basic one has sour cream and cheese on it.  
I've had Langos 2 times, both at Retro Langos Bufe for 800-1400 HUF according to the toppings. 

chestnut puree









3. Chestnut puree with whipped cream


I've had a pleasure to try this one at Tabani Gosser Etterem and it outgrew my expectations. Soft, sweet dessert that cannot be compared to anything else. The price was 900 HUF. 


gundel pancakes






4. Gundel pancakes 


Outstanding pancakes filled with crumbled walnuts poured with chocolate and rum syrup. Have had them twice, the better ones at Fici Papa for about 950 HUF.

the box donut budapest










5. The Box Donut


Rectangular donuts richly filled with cream, available even close to St. Stephen's Basilica. I've tried 2 flavors and the winner was pistachio-raspberry. Price differed between taste options 590-790 HUF. 









Apart from the above treats, you may try Hungarian alcohols - Tocaj wine or Palinka, which is a 50% fruit distillate in various flavors. During my trip I've also ate Dobos Cake in a kosher confectionery in the Jewish quarter - Frohlich. It is a sponge cake layered with chocolate and topped with caramel. I unfortunately didn't like it.

Tasty cakes (e.g. brownie) at good prices can also be found in Picnic Budapest.

If you search for culinary souvenirs I would like to recommend shopping in the Central Market Hall, but of course in the back of it. You will find the same products at a price several hundred forints lower than at the main entrance, such as Hungarian sausages, alcohols, sweets, spices, homemade soaps and more. 


The post was not sponsored.

No comments:

Post a Comment